Verbose mode can be a useful tool for troubleshooting Mac OS X startup problems. If the machine hangs before it gets to the login screen, you can start up in Verbose Mode and see exactly where the problem is happening. Verbose mode simply disables the Apple loading images/graphics and displays the unix core of OS X starting up.
To Enter Verbose Mode
- Shut down the computer if it is on.
- Press the power button to start the computer.
- Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the “v” key.
- This will only effect the target machine during the boot while you’re holding down these keys, if you restart, it will boot normally.
- The machine will act as normal once the login window has been loaded.